How to Celebrate Gum Disease Awareness Month
Ah, it’s February again! A favorite month for many, it’s time for Valentine’s chocolates, flowers, and cute dates. However, have you ever considered giving that “special somebody” a Gum Disease Awareness brochure instead? While they might be mildly upset about the lack of chocolate, at least they won’t have to worry about gum disease! We also protect your loved ones by providing gum disease treatments in San Antonio, Texas.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease, also known as periodontitis, is a severe infection within the gums. Gym disease can cause bone decay, tooth loss, swollen gums, and bleeding if left unchecked. While genetics may occasionally link to gum disease is largely preventable with healthy habits. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental checkups prevent most gum disease cases.
How to Celebrate Gum Disease Awareness Month?
Ultimately, awareness is critical. If more people knew about gum disease and how to prevent it, we could save a lot of trouble in the future! While it may not be as popular as Christmas or Halloween, there’s always something we can do:
- Step up Your Hygiene. Start by focusing on your sphere of control- which is yourself! Recommit to brushing twice a day, flossing, and bi-annual checkups. Pamper your gums with extra love and care with fluoride toothpaste, mouthwash and by brushing your tongue. Remember: everything is connected, and health in one area keeps other areas healthy.
- Set up a Dental Checkup. If you haven’t already, set up your next appointment! Mark your calendar, and strive to keep healthy daily habits until then. If you have a family, remember to bring them as well!
- Thank Your Local Dentist. Dentistry can be a pretty unthankful job. After all, it can be pretty stressful! Make their late-night hours a little sweeter with a gift. Be creative: a thank you card, a chocolate bar, or a new Bugatti could go a long way!
- Spread the Word. Raise awareness for gum disease in any way you can. Tag #GumDiseaseAwarenessMonth on social media, share it with friends as a “fun fact,” or make a fun poster. We’re all in this together.
- Educate the Youth. Play a game, make flashcards, or surprise them with a new toothbrush. For families with children, this is an excellent opportunity to teach your children about gum disease, dental hygiene, and how to build healthy habits. Don’t let this chance slip!
Symptoms for Gum Disease
If you notice any or all of these symptoms, consult a dentist. After all, we want you to feel great!
- Bleeding Gums. Unexplainable bleeding is a common symptom of gum disease. If you catch your gums bleeding without an apparent cause, it’s time to metaphysically “stop, drop, and roll.”
- Loose Teeth. Periodontitis has a nasty habit of weakening your gums and loosening your teeth. If you notice a loose tooth, it’s essential to act to prevent tooth loss.
- Mystery Pus. If you ever see mystery pus, it’s time to call for backup. Dr. Precious Thompson and our team will get to the bottom of this mystery better than Scooby-Doo ever could.
Gum Disease Treatment in San Antonio, Texas
This Gum Disease Awareness Month, we take a moment to remember all the good our gums do. After all, life would be tricky without a good pair of gums! Dr. Precious Thompson and our team know how precious your smile is. That’s why we work hard to keep your chompers chomping and your smiles smiling. Let’s celebrate this month by raising awareness for gum disease and improving our oral hygiene.
Let’s keep your smile bright. Schedule an appointment today to get started.